Wakarusa Music Festival is well-known and well-loved with thousands of loyal fans – or as we like to call them, family – but there there is so much more to Wakarusa than meets the eye. You may think you know everything there is to Waka, or you might be a first-timer, but there is always something new to discover. You are never too old to learn something new and that goes for Wakarusa too! Here are just a few things you might not know about Wakarusa!
10. Wakarusa first began in 2004! It’s been 11 years and Wakarusa is better than ever! The little-festival-that-could, Waka’s humble beginnings have fostered a beautiful setting for music and love, bringing together all kinds of artists and all kinds of people from across the country and around the world to join in celebration of creativity and nature!
9. Wakarusa was originally set up outside of Lawrence, KS – Still a bastion of loyal Waka vets, Lawrence, Kansas was the birthplace of this fantastic music festival. Old hands from Lawrence can attest that the drive down to Arkansas is worthwhile, considering how fun Wakarusa always is and the amazing beauty of Mulberry Mountain!
8. The word “Wakarusa” is derived from the meaning “Ass Deep”. Named after a well known river near the festivals birthplace, Wakarusa River has been described as being “ass deep” in water depth.
7. This year Wakarusa features 6 stages! Main Stage, Revival Tent, Backwoods Stage, Outpost Tent, Satellite Stage and Riverside Stage! Keep track of what acts are playing when and where and be sure to keep a map handy so you know where you’re going. There is so much to see and do!
6. Interstellar Meltdown – a Festival within a Festival! Any fans of electronic music need to be aware of all that’s going down!
5. There are Art Installations throughout the festival grounds! Check out some art work and contribute a little of your own creativity on the living chalkboard!
4. Do you know how many fun and wild Activities there are to participate in at Wakarusa? Get crazy or learn something new! It’s all there for you!
3. Wakarusa is partnered with several Non-profit organizations for political, environmental, health and social activism.
2. You can go Glamping at Wakarusa and camp in style!
1. There are over 150 acts performing this year! The Lineup is HUGE! Big, epic bands and new, budding artists from near and far, international phenomenons and homegrown local musicians, Wakarusa Music Festival brings it all together to share an unforgettable experience! It is outstanding!